In no particular order:
1. I am middle aged but essentially feel the same inside as I always have.
2. I went to the same high school my mother went to.
3. I married a man who grew up in the same neighborhood I did.
4. I love my husband.
5. I love to sing.
6. When I was a child, I sang at the top of my lungs while I walked to school, hoping that I would be discovered.
7. When I was in high school, one of my teachers told me that I could not sing.
8. Now, people tell me I have a beautiful voice.
9. I have been in bands and made a record. The record did not sell very many copies.
10. I spent a large part of my adolescence and early adulthood depressed.
11. I was in therapy for 15 years.
12. I am no longer depressed.
13. I studied and trained to be a therapist but could not continue on that path because I had to get a job that paid money.
14. I lost a baby when I was 20 weeks pregnant.
15. I work out regularly with a personal trainer who has made me the strongest middle-aged mother of two in my neighborhood.
16. Lately, my favorite cocktail is gin and sugar-free tonic with a lot of lime, but I hardly have cocktails anymore on the advice of my trainer.
17. I also gave up caffeine, dairy and artificial sweeteners on the advice of my trainer.
18. I love ice cream.
19. I enjoy cooking for other people.
20. I always make Thanksgiving dinner for a lot of people. They insist I make the same dishes every year. Since that is boring for me, I always add a new dish. This means I make about 15 different dishes for Thanksgiving, not including dessert.
21. I contributed and tested recipes for a cookbook.
22. I am a control freak when it comes to throwing a party.
23. When I read, I become so totally immersed in the book that I become unaware of what is going on around me.
24. I do not watch very much tv.
25. I do not have cable.
26. I do tend to get hooked on one show at a time. When my children were little it was "X-Files." They had trouble sleeping and I would panic if they were not asleep by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday night when the "X-Files" aired. Lately it is “Lost.”
27. I hardly believe it when people tell me they love me.
28. I do believe it when my children tell me they love me.
29. I never really enjoyed taking my kids to the park.
30. I never went to PTA meetings.
31. I wish I was a better mother.
32. I grew up celebrating Christmas.
33. Now I keep kosher and observe Shabbat.
34. I like my job.
35. For the first 11 years of my life, my family moved every year or so.
36. I have four cats.
37. I am allergic to cats.
38. I fantasize about living in Hawaii.
39. I have traveled, but only a little bit.
40. I used to speak fluent Italian.
41. I had dreams where I was speaking in only French or Italian.
42. I have sold my artwork to people I don’t know.
43. I am shy.
44. When I am with funny people, I can be funny too.
45. Two of my dearest friends have the same name.
46. Sometimes, I believe I am truly empathic, feeling what my companion is feeling at that moment, although that could also be a narcissistic delusion.
47. I feel separate from most people most of the time.
48. I belly dance.
49. I am overweight.
50. When I was not overweight, I thought I was fat.
51. I used to think I looked prettier when I made a serious face. Now I think I look better when I smile.
52. I sometimes embarrass my children because I love to sing and dance.
53. My mother died the day after I graduated from college. I was 22 years old.
54. I did not speak to my father for many years, but then we reconciled. Now he is an important part of my life.
55. I get along with my in-laws.
56. I love color. I love looking at color displays such as the paint chip racks at Home Depot or bottles of nail polish lining the drug store wall.
57. I do not wear blue clothing.
58. I have to dye my hair every few weeks because I have fast growing grey hair.
59. People tell me I look younger than I am.
60. I love being strong.
61. I don’t know when I will be able to retire.
62. I enjoy being in my garden.
63. I am trustworthy.
64. I do not tell people’s secrets.
65. I am an honest person.
66. I struggle to be revealingly honest in my creative endeavors because I believe honesty is required for good art.
67. I thank God regularly for big and little things in my life.
68. I believe that the natural world communicates to us.
69. My parents taught me to be tolerant of other viewpoints and ways of life.
70. I am a spendthrift.
71. I like when people acknowledge my efforts, but it embarrasses me.
72. I have never won an award for anything.
73. I am very lucky in life, but so unlucky when I gamble. I never win when I gamble.
74. I worry about the world my children are growing into and what the world is going to be like when they are adults.
75. When my nieces were little, before I had children of my own, I used to get pleasure from strangers thinking they were my daughters.
76. People used to think my younger brother and I were twins.
77. I never drink regular soda.
78. I have journaled since I was 12 or 13. Most of my journals contain budgets, complaints about my weight and lists of things I want to do.
79. I once saw a UFO.
80. I surf blogs and try to let people know I have looked at them.
81. I don’t really like my name, but I have no idea what other name would suit me.
82. I am not particularly political which can be challenging because I am surrounded by political people.
83. My life is blessedly full which leaves me with insufficient solitude to make meaningful work.
84. I may be a bit of a dilettante, despite my serious commitment to creativity.
85. I have been a teacher of human development classes, mommy and me, and belly dance.
86. If I could only take five albums with me on a deserted island I would take: Joni Mitchell Hejira, Parliament Greatest Hits, Eno Before and After Science, The Roches The Roches, and John Coltrane Love Supreme.
87. I try to be nice.
88. While I do have opinions, I am not good at debating.
89. My eldest daughter is taller than I am.
90. Since I stopped being depressed, I stopped having dreams in which I fly.
91. My thoughts are auditory, not visual.
92. I learn better when someone teaches me than by reading on my own.
93. I truly appreciate learning new things.
94. I wonder what it is like to be a man, but do not actually want to be a man. I am very happy that I am a woman.
95. I have never been to the mikvah because I am too embarrassed to get naked in front of the mikvah lady.
96. My most significant wish is that my children grow up to be happy, healthy, safe and successful in whatever path they choose.
97. I have feet like a hobbit because I never wore shoes when I was a child.
98. I like having my back massaged more than ANYTHING else in the world.
99. I do not remember enough of my life.
100. I believe we make a choice between life and death everyday.